Friday, April 8, 2011

springtime cookie decorating... first time with glaze icing

hey!
so i have a new favorite blog to look at called the sweet adventures of sugarbelle and it is so much fun! really fun eye candy! she decorates cookies like an art. she uses royal icing, like most hardcore cookie decorators do, but in my cookie decorating trial, i used a glaze icing i found. it doesn't call for meringue powder and the word on the street is that it tastes MUCH better. another upside is that you can use the same consistency for outlining and flooding (a cookier term for filling in the cookie with icing). downside is that you can't get as much detail as royal icing since this glaze spreads more. meh. i didn't want to buy meringue powder anyway.

i'm in the mood for spring, although the snow outside says otherwise. i decided to try my hand at some cute bunny, chick, and flower cookie cutters i got at target. i got my decorating supplies from my mother-in-law denise. she makes the cutest cakes! anyway, here are some pics of my process:
to fill my little decorating bags, i used this trick ... it keeps things so clean! and because i only had one coupler to work with, it saved me a lot of time cleaning. really cool trick. i love tricks! i did end up making a mess, anyhow, but it was other kind of mess, not frosting all over my hands and bags and everywhere. 

ok, so the cookies were suppose to be 1/4 inch think, but i don't have anything that helps you roll dough out evenly and measured, so i used a straw and a ruler! i put the straw in the dough when i thought it was the right thickness and measured it with a ruler. i'm sure this is not unique, but i thought of it on my own and i was very proud! i'm not a baker, so this is all new for me!


while my bunnies were drying, 
i decided to take a picture of my organized mess into a rainbow. awe!


i couldn't decided on the bunnies with or without whiskers. 
i decided without was much cleaner and cuter... yes?


here they are! they may look easy, but they were hard for me so LAY OFF! (said in Adam Sandler-esque anger)




i think i want to make some more chicks, but do them in blue! eh!?! blue ducks!!
feel free to leave a quacktastic comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

quacktastic comments